There’s generally only two times in the year that I like to do really big spreads: my birthday; and at the end of the year, when I do a year-ahead spread.
It was my birthday a little over a week ago, and usually, I do Ethony’s “It’s My Birthday Tarot” Spread, which I also did on my actual birthday, but this year, I thought I would do an additional spread and also hold good on my word that I want to start using the Eastern Ink Tarot in a more extensive way.
I was watching this video by Foolonajourney on books they’ve been reading and decks they’ve been using, and they introduced this book called Tarot for Life by Prospero. While flipping through the book, I saw a reference to a “Bagua Spread,” which piqued my interest. I don’t know much about the Bagua, other than that “ba” means “eight” and also having very, very vague memories of my mom hanging an octagonal bagua mirror in our house and me asking her what it was.
A cursory Google search of the bagua explains that it is part of Taoist tradition and is made up of eight trigrams from the I Ching surrounding either the yin and yang symbol or a mirror. When I Googled “bagua tarot spread,” I came across this entry from eight years ago on Alanna’s Tarot blog. What a perfect spread to use with my Eastern Ink Tarot!
I found this helpful picture on Alanna’s blog that breaks down each part of the bagua:
The idea behind the spread is to pull a card for each of these areas.
I wasn’t sure if there was a specific order to do the spread in, so what I did was follow what Alanna did and started at the top with Fame/Reputation, worked my way clockwise around the bagua, and ended with the card in the middle for Health. I shuffled the deck before drawing each card, focusing my mind and intention on the category that I was about to draw.
Here’s my spread:
- Fame/Reputation – Nine of Cups – I think that people see me as someone who is happy, content, and personally fulfilled.
- Relationships/Love – Ace of Pentacles – I’ve been really lucky in love! I feel blessed everyday for my husband, who is the kindest and most supportive person I know.
- Children/Creativity – King of Pentacles – I’m feeling secure and abundant in this area. I’m ready to start a family!
- Helpful People/Travel – Eight of Cups – It looks like based on the current global situation with COVID that the idea of travel may be something that I just have to walk away from for now.
- Career/Life Path – Knight of Pentacles – I’ve always been incredibly hardworking and diligent in my work, and I think this card acknowledges that!
- Knowledge/Wisdom – Eight of Pentacles – A lot of people in my life see me as knowledgeable and wise, and I do believe that that is something that I actively work towards. I work to be knowledgeable!
- Ancestors/Family – The Tower – I think this is obviously referencing the passing of my mom, who was the rock of our family. Her death really shook us to the core and really forced each of us to reevaluate how we view life and how we value family.
- Wealth – Judgment – I think this card is telling me that there will soon be a major decision where I will have to decide on present wealth or future wealth.
- Health – Death – A major change and transformation is in the works when it comes to my personal health. Hopefully, it’s a positive change and transformation!
I really enjoyed this spread, as it really encouraged me to think and reflect on the different aspects of my life. It does remind me of the astrological spread with the 12 houses. It would be interesting to do the 12 houses spread and then compare it back to this Bagua Spread to see if there’s any overlap!