I thought I would use the Alchemical Tarot since I’m on an alchemical kick, I’ve recently gotten reacquainted with the deck, and I thought what’s more elemental than alchemy?? 😀
I followed all the directions and mini-spreads laid out by her, but I modified their general placement — only because I was using my Sasuraibito tarot cloth (which I really need to steam or iron since it’s so wrinkly), which has the elements in each corner. I oriented the cloth so that swords was at the top (for air) and pentacles was at the bottom (for earth). Thus, the placement of each mini-spread is a tad different from Tarotmum13’s placement, but other than each mini-spread’s placement and the spirit card being positioned upright, everything else remains the same. I even did the mini-spreads in the order that she suggested and followed the card placements within each mini-spread.
It ended up being beautifully symmetrical to appease the Virgo in me:
Here are my interpretations in response to the questions posed by Tarotmum13, in conjunction with consultation of Robert M. Place’s LWB since his interpretations are a tad different from traditional RWS.
Earth (bottom right-hand corner):
- Current State — Eight of Coins — I am devoted to my work and my craft.
- Negative Influences — Nine of Coins — What’s eroding my soil and causing me instability and stress is, ironically, my constant need for stability and perfection.
- Positive Influences — King of Coins — What is nourishing my soil is my ability to be grounded, stable, and secure and the knowledge that I am grounded, stable, and secure.
Air (top right-hand corner):
- Current State — Two of Swords — I am constantly seeking truth and wisdom to inform my decisions.
- Negative Influences — Nine of Swords — The storm clouds that obscure my view are my own anxieties and fears. My mind is my most powerful ally and my worst enemy.
- Positive Influences — Seven of Swords — The fresh winds are my integrity and intellect that allow me to rise above dishonesty and deceit.
Water (top left-hand corner):
- Current State — Three of Vessels — I have great friendships, and I’m surrounded by those that are like-minded. Also, I just did a post on friendships and Three of Cups, so this is probably very present on my mind!
- Negative Influences — Two of Vessels — This one is really interesting. The dam that prevents my river from flowing freely is that perfect rose that represents societal expectations of love and relationships. I am constantly worrying about where I should be in my relationship based on social influences, instead of just letting things be and play out naturally as they should.
- Positive Influences — Six of Vessels — What prevents my river from being stagnant is getting what I need and giving people what they need. Mutuality and reciprocity are so very important to me.
Fire (bottom left-hand corner):
- Current State — Ten of Staffs — I desire to be reinvigorated with renewed strength and passion.
- Negative Influences — Five of Staffs — What causes my fire to burn too bright is when I become too aggressive or abrasive in advocating my beliefs, and this, as well as my stubbornness, invites conflict.
- Positive Influences — Eight of Staffs — What sparks my fire and feeds it is focusing on what the real need is and to simplify how I’m communicating it.
Spirit card — The Tower
The driving force that helps me maintain balance in the elemental forces is…the Tower? Actually, this is quite true when I think about it. A few weeks ago, I asked my cards what magic means to me, and one of the cards I got was The Tower. What I had read then was that I use magic to avoid calamity. I read it similarly now. The driving force behind what I do in life is my need to avoid calamity and my need to prevent sudden dramatic upheavals because the thing I fear the most is instability.
What a wonderfully insightful spread!